Free delivery for orders over £50. Orders under £50: £4.99. Delivery: 7-10 working days.

Dog Poisons Awareness

There are many items around the home, farm or countryside, that are obviously harmful to dogs.

However, there are many other everyday dangers to your dog that can be potentially harmful that you may not be aware of.

Here is the Chudleys guide to potential risks to your dog this spring.


Alcohol can create a ‘drunk’ effect but can cause sickness, diarrhoea and damage to the central nervous system.

Avocado contains harmful persin which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. There is also a choking risk if they eat the stone.

Caffeine contains methylxanthines which can bring on seizures, tremors and other heart-related and breathing problems.

Chocolate contains several substances called methylxanthine, caffeine and theobromine. Dogs struggle to metabolise these (break down) if they eat them. Theobromine is present in all forms of chocolate, but there are different levels in white, milk and dark chocolate bars. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it is!

100-150mg of theobromine per kg of bodyweight is toxic to dogs.

For example, if you have a Labrador weighing 30kg, as little as 3000mg of theobromine could be fatal. Shockingly there is 3000mg of theobromine in one 500g bar of dark chocolate!

If your dog is suffering from chocolate poisoning, symptoms usually appear within 2-12 hours. Symptoms may include, hyperactivity or restlessness, digestive upsets, frequent urination, tremors or seizures, high temperature, rigid muscles, abnormal heart rhythm, collapse.

In the worse cases this can prove fatal.

Grapes. While all forms of grapes are bad for dogs, it’s thought the dried versions of the fruits are more likely to cause severe symptoms if eaten by your dog. It’s not known which substance or chemicals in grapes causes poisoning in dogs, but even a very small number of grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants can be toxic. Extra caution should be taken with foods containing raisins, currants (dried fruit of dark grapes) and sultanas (dried fruit of white grapes). These are highly toxic to dogs and can lead to acute kidney failure or even death.

Garlic & onions belong to the Allium family of vegetables which also include chives. If your dog eats large quantities of these, they can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage leading to anaemia. All forms can potentially cause toxicity in large amounts. These include raw, cooked, dehydrated flakes, powder and supplements.

Nutmeg contains a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system. This causes swollen limbs and weakness.

Tomato. Ripe tomatoes are not poisonous for dogs. However, green tomatoes can be poisonous if given in large quantities because they contain natural chemicals called solanine and tomatine. Also ensure that your dog doesn't eat the stems or leaves of tomatoes either.

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in some brands of chewing gum, chewable vitamins, sweets and peanut butter. Unlike humans, dogs absorb Xylitol extremely quickly which causes extreme insulin release resulting in a rapid drop in blood sugar (hypoglycaemia). Xylitol can also cause irreversible liver damage or even death.


Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is commonly used in vehicles and can sometimes leak into puddles or be spilt on yards or driveways. It has a sweet taste that attracts dogs but is highly toxic. Even a tiny amount can cause severe kidney damage and can be life-threatening.

Human medication. Although it may be obvious not to allow your dog access to certain medications, we would always advise not to give your dog any form of human medications, especially NSAID painkillers or anti- diarrhoea remedies. Always discuss with your Vet.

Fertilisers & pesticides. Some of these that are used in gardens or fields contain toxic chemicals. Ingestion of these substances can result in vomiting and diarrhoea, neurological problems, and possible organ damage.

Mould. Mouldy human food can contain mycotoxins that are poisonous to your dog. If ingested, the condition that can occur is called mycotoxin intoxication or mycotoxin toxicosis. Seizures and tremors are the most common symptoms. Severe cases can be fatal without treatment.

Plants. Spring plants and flowers that are toxic include daffodils, crocuses and bluebells.

Rodent Poison, especially anticoagulant rodenticides such as warfarin, which prevent blood clotting therefore causing bleeding internally. Not all rodenticides are anticoagulants. It's important to check which one has been ingested.

Slug Pellets. Metaldehyde is a common ingredient of slug baits or pellets. However, not all slug baits contain metaldehyde so it's important to check which type has been ingested. Metaldehyde poisoning is extremely serious and is usually fatal without urgent treatment.

Vitamin D is available in many forms such as supplements and psoriasis ointments. Ingesting these can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions, digestive bleeding, abnormal heart rhythm and kidney failure.

What to do if you suspect your dog has been poisoned?

Contact your Vet immediately and where possible, take a sample or a photograph with you of what you think your dog has eaten. Never try and make your dog vomit as you may do more harm than good.

Further information on poisons can be found here: Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS).




Older Post
Newer Post
Close (esc)

Important notice

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol.


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now